Thursday 16 May 2013

Baking Improv


In a turn of events that will surprise absolutely no one, I baked at the weekend. While me baking is in no way unusual, me going off-piste in my culinary endeavours certainly is. I am a stickler for recipes, particularly when it comes to baking. I'll happily throw together some vegetables, meat and pasta for a casual evening dinner but if I want to make something a bit more substantial, or bake something, I will always pull out a recipe book and follow it meticulously.

Unfortunately, I was a little low on supplies when I turned to my kitchen cupboards at the weekend and none of my recipes seemed to fit with the ingredients I had on-hand. And thus, these oaty-fruity-cakey delights were created. These are quite dense and chewy little cakes, with a nice bit of zing from the fruit. They tasted especially good when they were still warm from the oven. Considering I was just making things up as I went along, they turned out rather marvellously.


120 grams butter
120 grams sugar
2 eggs
120 grams flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
120 grams rolled oats
50-75 grams frozen summer berries
1 handful sliced almonds

Makes 12-16 (depending on how stingy you are with your portions)

  • Set the oven to 180 degrees C. Grease the holes in a cupcake/ muffin tin (you may need more than one tray).
  • Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
  • Add the eggs one at a time with a tblsp of flour to stop curdling. Mix thoroughly.
  • Add the remaining flour and fold in gently.
  • Add the vanilla extract and fold in gently. Finally, add the oats and the summer berries and mix everything together gently.
  • Separate the mixture between the holes in the cupcake/ muffin tin. You want the holes filled about half-way. Sprinkle on some sliced almonds and press slightly into the batter.
  • Bake for about 20 mins - they should be nicely golden brown on top. Remove from the oven, transfer to a cooling rack and let cool for a few minutes.

These were so quick and easy to make, I'm thinking about making them again this weekend with chunks of apple and cinnamon instead of the summer berries. 

No comments:

Post a Comment